Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Was Laban the High Priest?

I have often thought that Laban whom Nephi killed was a political figure, but I have recently wondered if he was actually a church figure - possibly the High Priest.

Some of the reasons I suspect this is. He was responsible for the church records (Brass Plates). There is a reference to the "brethren of the Church" and the "elders of the Jews" with whom he met.

I wonder if he knew Lehi, and I wonder if he was one of those who had sought to kill Lehi when Lehi prophesied of the destruction of Jerusalem.

If he was the High Priest, then he would have been similar to those who sought to kill Jesus some 600 years later.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Just found this post because I had the same question. I was brought to this conclusion while I was studying the garments and clothing of the Israelite High Priest and their symbolism. The ancient priests were known to keep a Urim and Thummim (?) in a pouch behind their breastplate (which was decorated with stones representing the 12 tribes).

When I read the word "breastplate" my first thought is an actual breastplate of war like what a knight would wear, but the metal covering of the ancient High Priests was also called a breastplate even though it's use was ritualistic.

Laban's breastplate and sword was preserved by Nephi and it was included with the plates. The Urrim and Thummim is not mentioned but Joseph Smith claims it was included when he recovered the breatplate from the hill cumorah. What other kind of breastplate could this be other than the breastplate of the highpriest? What other clothing would Laban have been wearing while he was out and about in the city. He wouldn't be wearing armor.

Laban was a priest and I think God wanted to preserve the intention of the ritual and symbolism and the covenant of the family of Israel as Nephi was soon to leave Jerusalem. It was equally important as the brass plates.