Saturday, February 05, 2011

Repentance Means Being Real About Yourself

I am reading about the story of Nephi and his brothers and their differences in being contrite. I am also reading about Lehigh's wife and her feelings of sorrow as she thinks that she has lost her sons because of Lehigh's commandment to them to go back to Jerusalem. She murmured. After the return of their sons, the wife of Lehi repented of her murmurings. Being angry is not being humble. It is not being repentant.

I believe that God has commanded us to repent. He wants us to be awake. He wants us to be conscious of our being. When he commands us to repent I believe that he is commanding us to be aware of our Celts. I believe that he desires that we own ourselves completely. We own both the choices we make of righteousness and the choices we make of sin. Having a broken heart and contrite spirit is, I believe, the epitome of what God desires of us when he commands us to repent.

When God pointed out the Pharisees in his time he was quick to distinguish the righteousness the Pharisees from the righteousness of heaven. He pointed out that the reward of the Pharisee was the feeling of being perceived as a good or righteous. Truly being righteous was not a priority of the Pharisees. Being perceived as righteous was the priority. A person who prefers being seen as righteous does not know God, fears man or flesh, and is not perfect.

God tires of worship that is not real. In the Old Testament he mentions about the fact that he was filled with the offerings of sin and the burnt offerings that were being given by the people of Israel. The spirit of the people of Israel is what God was feeling. God perceived that the spirit of the people was not in the right place. They were going to the actions of performing the sacrifice their hearts were not in it.

I wonder to what extent these issues apply to us today. How many of us are mean like the people of Israel performing sacrifices instead of bringing a broken heart and contrite spirit with us in our life. I wonder how many of us are Pharisees who seek out the honors of men. I have gone to leave that these people are here with us now. And I have got to believe that I am guilty of similar ways and being. So if I live in denial that I truly am not repentant and I really do not bring a broken heart and contrite spirit. And if I care to be thought well of Barb to be perceived as righteous by others, my intent his vein, and I do not belong to God.

1 comment:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Hey Chip! You've got a great blog address...you need to USE IT!

Come join The Book of Mormon Forum where you can link-up and gain exposure for your posts about the Book of Mormon...http://beinglds.blogspot.com/2011/10/book-of-mormon-forum-blog-hop.html